We have a lot to learn from history. From wars and treaties to iconic moments and landmarks, there’s something to learn from every piece of history built in the monuments and homes in front of us. With that being said, if you live in a historic home, you may feel proud of living in a building that has stood the test of time, but you may feel like some parts of your home are outdated. On the other hand, you may feel conflicted in that renovating might feel like changing the past with a property like a historic home. If you’re in this situation, you’ve come to the right place! At The Dan Company, we specialize in historic home renovations in Nashville and are happy to walk you through everything you need to know about them.
What Should You Take Into Consideration When Renovating A Historic Home?
- First, you should do a thorough inspection before renovating. Many older homes may have issues, hidden or obvious, relating to the following:
- Structural integrity
- Water damage, including plumbing issues.
- Asbestos and other harmful materials
- Maintaining a historic home’s charm is a priority for many homeowners, so if you want to emphasize woodwork or revamp windows, now would be the time to do it! Please be aware that areas of your Nashville home that have to do with plumbing and wiring need to be permanently removed in most cases, as those processes have significantly improved over the years.
- If you’re stumped on ideas to keep your historic home true to its roots, we recommend researching original blueprints! Not only will this get your creative juices flowing, but you can also gain perspective on how your home was designed in that decade.
How Can The Dan Company Help You With Your Historic Renovation This Summer?
- Our renovation process starts with our Project Manager reaching out to schedule a preconstruction meeting at your home. We are all about taking our time during the planning, organizing, and scheduling portions of the initial renovation process to ensure the smooth execution of the project timeline.
- Once we confirm a starting date with you, the project begins! You will receive weekly reports from your project manager and regular invoices from our office. As unusual as it is in the construction industry, we offer the unique benefit of weekly billing so you can see how your budget is being allocated.
- For more information, read more about our process here.
Historic renovations are unique when it comes to home remodeling because you have to find the happy medium between preserving the past while also making way for the new. It may seem like a challenge to find that place, but with The Dan Company’s expertise and streamlined processes, we can help you find the balance between both seemingly contrary ideas. With over a decade of experience serving Nashville with integrity and attention to detail, unlike any other general contracting company, we are happy to help you turn your renovation dreams into a reality. For more information, contact us at (615) 891-1572. Let us know how we can get you started!