We’re in the middle of summer, which means spending lots of time outside. That can include hosting barbecues and hanging out on your deck. If your deck has been due for upgrades, you’re in the right place! An elevated deck, also called a raised deck, is a great way to adjust your current deck, but there are a few things to consider. In this article, we will discuss what you should do to start building an elevated deck OR what the process looks like if you want to hire professionals for the job.
What Should You Remember When Building An Elevated Deck This Summer?
- First things first, you’re going to need a permit to build an elevated deck. Any extensions to a deck, even an existing one, will require a permit because of the changes done to its foundation. You also want to do some research on local building codes- it is critical that you spend extra time on this process so you don’t miss anything!
- Attach the ledger board by marking the top and bottom lines on the sheathing underneath your deck. You should also measure your decking boards and consider their thickness, which helps elevate your deck parallel to the doors you will use to get onto the deck.
- Once you’ve secured all beams and joints, install landscape fabric to prevent grass and weeds from infiltrating your deck. You can stop the growth of unwanted weeds by adding crushed stones and gravel to your fabric.
How Can The Dan Company Help You Realize Your Elevated Deck Dreams?
- Once you contact us about what you envision for your elevated deck, our process starts with coordinating a day and time for you to schedule your estimate consultation. From there, we will outline your project’s needs.
- If you decide to sign a contract, we’ll assign a project manager and schedule a pre-construction meeting with our our team to continue planning and organizing the timeframe of your elevated deck. This part of the process is crucial because we want to ensure that the project runs as smoothly as possible.
- Once we have all our materials in order, we will confirm a start date with you.
- For more information on our process, read more here.
The Dan Company has over ten years of experience providing Nashville with high-quality home remodeling and general contracting services. Our top priority is building with integrity, which includes clear communication throughout the building process. We specialize in several general contracting services, including porch/deck remodels, additions, historic renovations, and more. To get started, all you have to do is call (615) 891-1572. We’re happy to “elevate” your deck to the next level!