A DADU, or a detached accessory dwelling unit, is a dwelling unit separate from the main house. It can be used for several reasons, including as an in-law suite or a place for adult children to return home during summer and winter vacations from college. Your DADU needs to be sizable enough in structure and height and should be associated with the main house in some way. While a DADU has many benefits, you shouldn’t go into it blindly- there are rules and regulations specific to each district that need to be researched before committing to such a project. Below are some things you need to consider when planning a DADU and the top three design ideas you can use to spruce up your DADU for the new year!
What Should You Keep In Mind When Planning For A DADU?
- A DADU can be a great way to enhance your Nashville home’s value. If your zoning regulations permit, you may be able to build a separate property on your lot as long as it’s visibly smaller than the main property, AKA your home. You may even be able to rent out this area and generate an extra stream of income!
- While not exactly a home remodel, constructing a DADU includes several components of a living unit, like a bedroom, small kitchen, bathroom, and living room. Your DADU should consist of the amenities someone living there would need, so ensure that you set aside a budget before planning for a DADU.
- While budgeting for a DADU, you can consider a home equity loan or a cash-out refinance if you have good home equity. It’s easy to confuse an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) with a DADU, but the latter is usually twice as expensive as the former. Knowing the difference between the two can help you determine your budget.
What Are The Top Three Design Ideas For Your Dwelling unit In 2023?
- You may think a patio or a deck is not in season, but spring will come around before you know it! Investing in a custom deck or a screened porch for your DADU gives you an excellent reason to make way for future family gatherings and summer barbecues. If you have a garden, a patio or deck is a great way to display your garden’s best features!
- In recent years, self-care and wellness have become of prime importance. Creating an environment that encourages a healthy lifestyle starts at home. Natural lighting is a great way to promote wellness, no matter how you use your additional unit. Aside from having numerous benefits for your physical and mental health, natural lighting is known for creating the illusion of more space.
- You can get inspiration from the great outdoors by incorporating dark green and brown hues into your DADU. Including houseplants throughout your living space will give your home addition a cozy feeling.
At The Dan Company, we build with integrity! Luxury home renovations are our specialty, and our mission is to bring your dream home to life. We have over a decade of experience in home remodeling, and general contracting, including historic renovations, master suites, a screened porch build, or a full-scale home remodel. If you’re considering a DADU project this winter, contact us at (615) 891-1572. We’d be happy to discuss the potential for a DADU in your Nashville home and whether this can be a good investment for you!