As soon as you decide you have a home improvement project, you also may realize you can’t complete the project by yourself. Logistics, time, and energy spent DIY-ing a complex project may cause more stress. A knowledgeable contractor can alleviate a lot of that stress, but first, you have to find one! Since you will be communicating with this person for the duration of your project and trusting them with your home, this relationship will be an important one. How do you find the best fit for your family? Here are some do’s and don’ts we believe will be useful in your search for the right contractor.
Do’s When Finding A Contractor
- Make sure to read reviews: Once you have looked for contractors in your area, take the time to check Google reviews about their work, timeliness, professionalism, and communication. Having enthusiastic testimonials on their company website is also a great sign!
- Get multiple estimates: Talking to several contractors helps you get a better idea of the cost and duration of your project. Get written estimates from at least three contractors and compare the results.
- Hire local, licensed contractors: Local contractors will be most familiar with the building codes in your area.They will also be at the ready and close by in case a problem develops in the future.
- Check their past work: Check references about the quality of their products and workmanship. A contractor with over five years of experience is preferable, and if they are proud of the work they have done, they will be happy to share examples with you!
- Check their insurance and bonding: You’ll want to confirm the contractor is properly insured and bonded. Ask for a certificate of insurance (COI) which should provide the name of the insurance company, policy number. Do not work with a contractor that does not have proper insurance coverage.
- Take time making your decision: Your home is important to you, and you want to make sure that you are hiring a trustworthy contractor to help improve it.
If you are looking for a reputable contractor in the Nashville Area, look no further than The Dan Company! Home remodeling is our speciality and we bring attention to detail and superior craftsmanship to everything we do. Our impressive team of contractors, carpenters, and painters are ready to elevate your home to the dream space you’re envisioning. Give us a call at (615) 395-6718, and we can begin planning out your home improvement project!
Photography by Juila Rose